Job Type: Full-Time Contract, ending March 31, 2023 with possible renewal
Location: Niagara Region
Hours of Work: 35 hours/week, with evening and weekend hours
Hourly Rate: $26.48 – $30.65 per hour
Reports To: Director of Youth Services
Posting Date: Friday July 29th, 2022
Closing Date: Friday August 5th, 2022 at 4:00 pm
The Addictions Outreach Counsellor will provide assessment, engagement, support, treatment and case management services to any individuals in the Home for Good Program, who expresses an interest in receiving addiction support. This is an outreach position that involves working closely with other Home for Good staff including Start Me Up Niagara, Hope Centre, Gateway Residential & Support Services of Niagara and the Regional Municipality of Niagara.
The formats of service include individual counselling, outreach, advocacy and role modelling. The Addictions Outreach Counsellor will provide linkages to other community programs and agencies to facilitate contacts and services that will support the clients in finding opportunities, solutions and resources to improve their social determinants of health.
- A relevant undergraduate degree plus two years of addiction experience or a relevant two-year Community College diploma with five years of addiction experience.
- Registered with a regulatory college (i.e. Ontario College of Social Workers/Social Service Workers, College of Registered Psychotherapists of Ontario) is an asset.
- Familiarity in Dialectical Behaviour Therapy (DBT) is an asset.
- Experience in harm reductions, safety planning and crisis intervention.
- Proof of an approved completed series of a COVID-19 Vaccination.
- Current criminal record check for vulnerable sector.
- Current First Aid and CPR certification.
- Experience using Catalyst database.
- Valid Driver’s license and insurance.
- Experience working in a trauma informed care setting
Skills and Abilities
- Demonstrated ability to work co-operatively and negotiate effectively within a multi-disciplinary team of service providers.
- Effective written and oral communication skills, problem solving, advocacy and assessment skills
Details of Position/Hours of Work
Regular work week is 35 hours/week. This position requires flexibility and strong engagement and assessment skills. Work hours may include some evening or week-end work. Services will be provided in the client’s home or at locations in the community convenient for the client.
The Counsellor will be required to provide services throughout the Niagara Region.
The salary range is $26.48 per hour to $30.65 per hour.
The Counsellor will be employed on a contract basis until March 31, 2023 with the possibility of extension.
Eligible for health & dental benefits after 3 months and company pension after 6 months
Regulatory College fees covered.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Screening and Assessment
- Determine the client’s specific needs, goals, presenting concerns, and stage of change through motivational interviewing, mutual investigation and exploration.
- Build a therapeutic alliance with the client to support them in articulating their needs for service.
- Initial Treatment Planning
- Collaborate with clients to engage in the development of an individualized treatment plan based on the client’s strengths, prioritized problematic areas, readiness for change and preferences.
- Facilitate access to programs, services and opportunities to support harm reduction and addiction recovery.
- Outreach Services
- Provide services within an understanding of the context of oppression, poverty and diversity.
- Conduct individual counselling sessions.
- Support relapse prevention, crisis intervention and addiction education to clients and partners in the Home for Good Program.
- Client Liaison/Advocacy
- Maintain a professional counselling relationship between the client and counsellor.
- Develop linkages and maintain effective working relationships with other community services and agencies to facilitate contacts and services for all clients
- Maintain a complete, accurate and comprehensive clinical record of each client, following agency standards for documentation.
- Team and Organization Responsibilities
- Work closely and in collaboration with all Youth Team members.
- Work closely and in collaboration with all staff and agencies involved with the Home for Good Program.
- Ensure safety and well-being practices are implemented; this includes being knowledgeable of Universal Care precaution practices, emergency systems and procedures in dealing with crisis situations, communicable diseases, and duty to report.
- Liaise with community partners and other agencies in a manner that promotes the agency’s reputation and facilitates quality care for shared clients.
- Perform other duties that may be assigned.
Please e-mail applications to Meaghan O’Connor, Finance & Human Resources Generalist,
Please include a cover letter and resume
Community Addiction Services of Niagara is an equal opportunity employer who welcomes and encourages applications from Niagara and surrounding communities. All applications from qualified individuals of all ages, gender identities, cultural, racial, ethnic and religious backgrounds, sexual orientations and abilities are welcomed and encouraged. We are committed to fostering an inclusive, barrier-free and accessible environment. CASON aims to dedicate resources to develop, honour and support all staff within their programs, especially those who experience multiple and intersectional forms of oppression.
If you have been contacted for an interview and require accommodation to ensure equal participation, please advise us what you may require in respect to materials or processes to ensure we can meet your needs.