Q: I want to go to residential treatment. What steps must I take?

A: Most treatment programs require that you have an assessment done before you can apply to enter their program. Our agency can do a provincially standardized assessment for you at no cost.

Q: Are you the same type of service as a detox centre?

A: No, our service is not meant to deal with crises or 24 hour care. Individuals who show up at our service presenting under the influence of alcohol or drugs will not be seen. If you require immediate assistance, please contact your nearest detox centre or hospital emergency service.

Q: Is there a cost for any of the services?

A: No, the service is free. Funding is provided by the Ontario Ministry of Health and Long Term Care.

Q: Do I need a referral to attend an assessment?

A: No referral is required; self referrals are welcome.

Q: What are the age limits for your service?

A: Individuals of any age can receive services from this agency.

Q: Can I bring someone with me?

A: Yes, you may bring anyone you like with you, as long as you are comfortable with having them with you in your counselling session. This does not apply to agency group programming, such as Day Treatment.

Q: What if someone doesn’t want to come…is there a way to force them?

A: No, our service is provided to individuals who attend willingly. We may suggest the person concerned come in to speak with a counsellor to get some ideas on how they may approach the issue.

Q: What is your privacy policy?

A: We collect personal health information about you directly from you or from the person acting on your behalf. The personal health information that we collect may include, for example, your name, date of birth, address, health history, record of your visits to CASON and the support you received during those visits. Please click here for our full Privacy Policy (PDF).

Q: What are my rights as a client?

A: Every client is informed about their rights and responsibilities while engaged in service provision with CASON. Please click here for our full Client Rights document (PDF).

Q: How do I make a complaint?

A: Clients are encouraged to participate in the delivery of their services by providing ongoing feedback and filing a complaint. A Client Rights sheet is provided to all individuals who become clients of CASON and the feedback and complaint process is included as part of the orientation.  All feedback and complaints will be handled according to the organizations confidentiality policy.

To file a complaint the client can take the following steps:

  1. Inform the clinician or staff at CASON that you wish to file a complaint. The complaint can be filed in writing, in person, by telephone or electronically.
  2. CASON staff will acknowledge receipt of the complaint within 24 hours and advise the client of next steps.
  3. The goal of CASON is to work with the client to resolve the issue to their satisfaction and the client is encouraged to suggest possible solutions.
  4. If the complaint is not resolved with the clinician, the complaint will progress to the Program Director, then the CEO and to the President of the Board of Directors.  The Board of Directors will have the final resolution for the client.
  5. The timeframe for dealing with a client complaint will vary depending on the implications of the complaint and the process to resolve it. CASON will endeavor to resolve complaints in a timely way to a maximum of 30 days whenever possible.

Q: Where is your main office located?

A: Our main office is located in St. Catharines at 60 James Street. The building is on the corner of James St. and King St. with the entrance on James St.. Our office is on the fourth floor, Suite 401.

Q: Where do I park?

A: Parking is available at metered spots on nearby streets, in the market square or in the new parking garage between Garden Park and Carlisle St.

Q: Is the service confidential?

A: Yes, all information is kept in the strictest of confidence. A counsellor will explain our confidentiality policies to you during your first appointment.

Q: What is your policy on inclement weather?

A: We try our best to stay open during bad weather. However, for the safety of our clients and staff- we do close our offices in extreme weather conditions. Please call our office if you are unsure if we are open or closed.

Q: Do you accept charitable donations?

A: Yes, we kindly accept donations from the community.  To inquire or make a donation, please call us: 905-684-1183 (ext. 238)